Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Texas heart is full.



I am from a broken down F150 in the yard, its camper proudly displaying rotting rose printed curtains and two big mouth bass decals on the sides. It sits there still in a wild flower jungle full of old tools and night mares.

I am from fire crystals that made so many fires into what looked just like Chinese New Year with the people you love. Nights spent under the biggest skies laughing and telling stories on hay bales

I am from "I got it at the getting place" and endless beatings. Nights spent hiding from the whiskey monster.

I am from bb guns, riding bikes past the dump, and pulling nails out of windows to sneak out into the unknown.

I am from skinned knees and climbing trees, watching the sunset everyday and feeding the horses grass.

I am from truth or dare, Vietnam veterans, broken old men and sleeping under bridges.

I am from dancing naked in the rain, breaking into swimming pools and riding the spinnaker at Six Flags over  and over. Always riding alone cuz it made me slide to the back of the car and giggle while Arlington spun past me.

I am from catching perch off the dock, baitin' the trotline and picking dinner from the garden. The fried catfish, fresh sliced tomatoes with salt, fried okra and sun tea were  devoured after saying grace.

I am from long distance trucking, sneaking out dads whiskey and hiding in abandoned houses.

I am from skinny dipping, lightning bugs and June bugs rattling screen doors.

I am from locusts  calling out in waves, cottonwood floating and giant willow trees to nap under.

My heart is red and sweet, it pounds like a bull thundering across open prairie.


" Hard to be soft,
tough to be tender. "

"Too young to hold on,
And too old to just break free and run."





I am stoking my own fire. It's a good heat I'm building to last.

No comments:

Post a Comment